Senior Mechanical Integration Engineer - Aircraft & Dock
Do you want to change the world? Zipline is on a mission to transform the way goods move. Our aim is to solve the world’s most urgent and complex access challenges by building, manufacturing and operating the first instant delivery and logistics system that serves all humans equally, wherever they are. From powering Rwanda’s national blood delivery network and Ghana’s COVID-19 vaccine distribution, to providing on-demand home delivery for Walmart, to enabling healthcare providers to bring care directly to U.S. homes, we are transforming the way things move for businesses, governments and consumers. The technology is complex but the idea is simple: a teleportation service that delivers what you need, when you need it. Through our technology that includes robotics and autonomy, we are decarbonizing delivery, decreasing road congestion, and reducing fossil fuel consumption and air pollution, while providing equitable access to billions of people and building a more resilient global supply chain.
About You and The Role
Does working on large integrated electro-mechanical systems from conception through fully scaled production and world-wide deployment excite you? Does hearing people say something is too difficult or impossible make you want to jump in head first? Do you enjoy being the “go to” engineer on the ground, analyzing system performance, solving problems live when our systems are powered on for the first time? At Zipline our work is intended for the field. Patients are counting on it today--there is no time for aiming low or for coming up short. If leveraging your talent to drive creating elegantly engineered solutions excites you read on!
We’re looking for a driven, proactive team member to join our Structures, Mechanisms, and Integration team as a Senior Integration Design Engineer for our Aircraft & Dock, working to define, characterize, and improve interfaces between components and major assemblies. Integration Design Engineers are responsible for ensuring the entire Aircraft & Dock function together properly, ensuring that the function or design of one does not negatively affect the other. This role is very cross-functional, working with all of our design teams to understand each of their requirements and constraints and finding functional balance in the hardware design. If you thrive in a fast-paced environment where you are managing multiple issues at the same time, communicating with multiple teams at the same time, and are quick to drive to a solution, then read on.
What You'll Do:
As a Senior Integration Design Engineer working to define, characterize, and improve interfaces between components and major assemblies, you will use your core technical competencies to understand system level requirements and ensure these requirements are met with the intended design (at the component level to the system level). You will work with the design and development engineers to ensure subsystems are designed with appropriate requirements, interfaces and interactions to achieve aircraft functions. For your first project you will focus on reviewing the zip to dock interface and determine potential failure points and design mitigations.
You are a very experienced engineer who has worked on multiple projects from the early conception phase to the production phase, and you understand the failure modes which could cause major issues during production operations. You think through the operating environments and operating phases of the system, and are able to identify areas where the product will not function as intended. You understand different manufacturing limitations and also capabilities so you can propose design solutions which can quickly be manufacturable and inspectable. You are unbiased towards a specific design, and critically look through the overall design to determine areas that must be fixed versus areas that would be nice to fix. You are humble when bringing up issues with designs and create a space where designers can freely propose ideas. You are a very experienced technical mentor and a resource to others on the team, able to share best practices and review work with junior members on the team.
- Lead high-impact and fast-paced programs
- Work with the design and development engineers throughout the engineering organization to ensure the relevant subsystems are designed with appropriate requirements, interfaces and interactions to achieve specific aircraft functions
- Break down new, high-level feature requests into sub-system and component level design change needs, and drive the implementation of these features (ensuring the component teams test these changes appropriately)
- Utilize critical analysis of potential failure modes and effects to influence these requirements
- Work cross-functionally across powertrain, avionics, structures/mechanisms, ground systems, and systems teams to understand component-level hardware changes which are being developed and support them in seamlessly introducing them to the aircraft platforms
- Work with manufacturing and field service teams to ensure the product is manufacturable and serviceable (working to commonize where it makes sense, and brainstorming ways to modify designs to make assembly more efficient)
- This can include development of processes, diagnostic tools and methods, and root-cause diagnosis for product issues
- Collaborate with validation teams to design tests which will validate the functions, interfaces, and interactions of the system
- Identify areas of concern, and work with teams to rectify any hardware issues
- Collaborate with design teams to brainstorm design modifications and make decisions on design changes between interfaces
- Lead and manage integration of initial prototype systems
MUST HAVE EXPERIENCE / SKILL SETS
- 10+ years of experience designing complex electro-mechanical systems - proven track record of complex subassemblies or full systems over at least 2 product programs (concept, prototype, validation, production)
- 3+ years of direct experience with integration engineering - ideally on complex products with challenging environments
- Exceptional ability to keep multiple projects moving forwards in parallel
- Demonstrated CAD fluency for system level ownership - 3D/2D of 50+ parts simultaneously
- Proven ability to solve challenging problems quickly and seamlessly
- Demonstrated core competencies - GD&T, FEA for multi-body structural and thermal applications, design for assembly & field operations
- Prototyping experience AND quick iterations on projects that you have owned start to finish
- Capable of simplifying a complex problem and provide an initial analysis to scope critical constraints and feature sizing with hand calcs (beam, buckling, bolts)
- Knowledge in applying appropriate FOS and margin to human safety critical application (design margin tables, structural joint calculations)
- Experience working with suppliers in a wide range of different manufacturing processes (injection molding, machining, stamping, etching, casting, composites, and PCBA fabrication, etc)
- Excellent communication - written, verbal, and visual. You know how to tailor to your audience with the right level of technical depth
NICE TO HAVE
- NX is your primary CAD tool
- Integration design experience at an aerospace or automotive level with validation standards
- Lead a small team of engineers to design, build, and test a complex system
- Testing Experience - wrote and scoped test plans, executed tests, analyzed data
WHAT ELSE YOU NEED TO KNOW
The starting cash range for this role is $155,000 - $210,000. Please note that this is a target, starting cash range for a candidate who meets the minimum qualifications for this role. The final cash pay for this role will depend on a variety of factors, including a specific candidate's experience, qualifications, skills, working location, and projected impact. The total compensation package for this role may also include: equity compensation; discretionary annual or performance bonuses; sales incentives; benefits such as medical, dental and vision insurance; paid time off; and more.
Zipline is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws or our own sensibilities.
We value diversity at Zipline and welcome applications from those who are traditionally underrepresented in tech. If you like the sound of this position but are not sure if you are the perfect fit, please apply!
If you’d like to learn more about Zipline and our teams, feel free to check out our Instagram, one of our Reddit AMA’s, or our website!