Embedded & Controls Systems Engineer
Founded in 2019, Peer Robotics is a collaborative mobile robotics company, building material handling solutions for small and medium-scale manufacturers. Today’s automation is extremely difficult to integrate and deploy, limiting adoption to large enterprises. At Peer, we have brought together a team of experts in the field of robotics, hardware, and software to build robots capable of learning from humans in real time, providing flexible and adaptable solutions that can be deployed by people on the shop floor.
Our vision is to build robots that are as simple as smart home devices to integrate and deploy on the shop floors. We are a venture-backed startup with active sales, deployments, and revenue in the US and India. With a strong focus on R&D and product development.
Our target customers are automotive, electronics, machine tools, and aerospace manufacturers with revenues between $50-$200M, typically privately owned and tier 2-3 suppliers of large enterprises.
The Embedded Systems Engineer will operate both as an entrepreneur and an advanced individual contributor. Using a broad range of skill sets and practical experience in successfully developing firmware for embedded modules having microcontrollers, microprocessors, or FPGAs. The role would require a strong understanding of the controls and communication protocols for developing system controllers, motor controls, and auxiliary systems/sensing modules. The role will require exceptional communication skills, to understand requirements and pain points from hardware and software teams, and build optimized solutions to empower both teams.
Desired Experience: Successfully developed firmware for an embedded system with ARM/AVR microcontroller, developed drivers for communication on CAN bus, and implemented motor controls.
Values of our Company:
- Customer First: We build solutions with the mindset of empowering the user. Anything that we build or develop is measured on its impact on our users.
- Ownership: We expect our team members to own their projects and lead decision-making. That means going out of their way to validate their decisions rather than expecting others to make decisions.
- Communication: Fundamental to our company, we strive for clear feedback and communication between our team members as and when required.
- Introductory round to informally know each other better.
- Behavioral Evaluation
- Technical round with live or take-home assignment to understand the approach and skillset
- Larger team meetings and discussion
First 90 Days:
The first 30 days will be focused on getting a deep understanding of the existing system, embedded firmware stack (PLC, IMU Sensor, Motor Controls), existing challenges, and goals
30-90 days would be focused on architecting and kicking off the development of motor control for integrating a new set of motors & controllers, taking part in hardware design and firmware development of system controllers and sensing/actuation systems, facilitating them to existing ROS-based architecture.
What we are looking for (you do not need to meet 100%):
- Expert in C, Python, and C++ with experience in launching 2-3 industrial-grade modules
- Expert in communication protocols like I2C, SPI, U(S)ART, Modbus, CAN, EtherCAT, etc.
- Experienced in microcontrollers like ARM, AVR, PIC, etc.
- Experienced in working with hardware like motor controllers, and inertial measurement sensors.
- Experienced with electronic circuits, and components
- Experienced in ROS framework
- Field experience in deploying/working with robots in industry environments
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strategic thinker who is also hands-on to get results
- The ability to work well in a fast-paced, distributed environment is crucial.
- Experience in product development for at least 2-3 embedded systems
- You will take responsibility for large-sized projects.
- You will take full responsibility for core modules essential for the product's success
- Work extremely closely with electrical design, hardware, and software development teams
- This will include design and architecture, evaluating and deciding which framework/language/data store/tools to use, preparing roadmaps, and timely delivery.
- Perks and Benefits:
- Opportunity to be a part of a small team changing the way industrial automation exists
- Complete freedom to explore and develop innovative solutions to our embedded systems
- Be a leader and build your own team as we expand
- Competitive salary
- Equity options
- Flexible working hours and schedules