Farmers Market Representative
At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
As a Farmers Market Representative, you will assist and run the Saturday Union Square Farmers Market with one other team member. There, you will represent Smallhold in a customer facing role. This is our only “store front” where customers can talk face to face with a Smallhold representative. You will be there to sell mushrooms, but to also spread the Smallhold vibe!
- Pick up the van in the early morning
- Load the van with the mushrooms and the gear needed for the market
- Drive from our parking lot and farm in Williamsburg to Union Square
- Set up the tent and rest of stand
- Pack mushrooms into pints for purchase
- Talk mushrooms with customers!
- Close up the stand and load everything back into the van.
- Unload everything at farm and drive back to parking lot
- A valid Driver's License
- Safe driving record is a requirement
- Comfortably lift and carry up to 50 lbs
- Can stand on your feet for 8+ hours
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with refrigerated trucks and perishable goods; preferably food
- Retail sales or Farmers Market experience
- Enjoy connecting with people!
The Pay: $ 22/hr
The Location: Brooklyn, NY
Position Type: Part-Time (1 day, weekly)
- Opportunities for growth with a rapidly growing, mission driven organization
- Mushrooms always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.