Facilities Maintenance Supervisor
At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
We are expanding our state-of-the art mushroom farm operations in Buda, Texas and seeking a Facilities Supervisor to join our Operations team and help us ensure safe and steady continual operations of our farm, relevant HVAC, refrigeration and climate systems, as well as support the general facilities organization with coordination for Production and Cultivation. Safety, maintenance, and cleanliness are the primary keys to keeping our farms at the top of their game. You will lead the farm in ensuring the upkeep of critical systems, prepare for and anticipate any scenario that puts our farmers or crops at risk and work quickly and preemptively to hedge off such risks with best-in-class tools and equipment.
- Create and lead our facilities and equipment maintenance program.
- Complete and ensure hands-on repairs and routine maintenance.
- Troubleshoot, address, and repair mechanical, electrical, HVAC, and equipment issues at the farm quickly, regardless of the day or time.
- Hire, train and manage technicians and janitorial staff to maintain facility technical and food safety operations.
- Troubleshoot and repair PLC’s (Programmable Logic Controller) systems in coordination with Engineering, general electrical and install support.
- Steward the facility’s maintenance ticketing system and preventative maintenance program. Ensure consistent and thorough documentation of all facility issues and associated budgets.
- Ensure climate control systems are operating safely and achieving desired set-points.
- Manage our fleet of vehicles by owning upkeep and repair of company trucks, cars, and forklifts.
- Work with outside contractors to support construction and ensure quality of end result.
- Develop SOPs and trainings for maintenance, safety, and crisis response.
- Build and manage inventory of repair parts and build in redundancy.
- Actively communicate and collaborate with Cultivation and Production teams to anticipate, plan for and work around repairs/maintenance.
- Work with Engineering and R&D to iterate, optimize, and enhance facility systems.
- Manage relations and service providers for compost, recyclables, and waste. Ensure cross-departmental compliance with disposal protocol in compliance with service providers and certifying bodies.
- Coordinate response and on-call schedule for facility emergencies, including weekend and holiday coverage.
- Additional projects and duties as assigned.
- Leadership skills and experience developing, collaborating with and delegating to others
- Ability to handle low and high voltage systems
- HVAC systems expert
- Full facility management knowledge
- “It can be done” attitude - Willingness and desire to lend a helping hand where needed
- Strong communication skills and ability to explain technical topics in layman terms
- Ability to resolve basic plumbing, electrical and mechanical issues
- Self-starter and self-manager with high attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Highly organized and nimble
- Experience with MaintainX or similar CMMS platform
- Startup experience
- Experience working with mushrooms
- Conversational in Spanish
- Annual based compensation range: $85K - $95K
- Medical Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holiday Programs
- Equity Participation
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.