At Smallhold, we’re building the resilient farming infrastructure of the future. From advanced distribution and farming hubs to modular, high-output technology-enabled Minifarms, we’re bringing the farm to the people, supplying the freshest organic produce to entire cities on a block-by-block basis.
Since 2017, Smallhold has established itself as the leader in US specialty mushroom production with our products found in top retailers like Whole Foods and Central Market and some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens, such as Maison Yaki, the Standard Hotels, and Bunker Vietnamese.
Our mushrooms, farms, and team (including an amazing cohort of farmers) have been featured in publications like The New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Gizmodo, Bon Appetit, Martha Stewart -- to name a few.
What’s next for Smallhold? Our network is growing and with it we’re rapidly expanding our infrastructure, building farms in new markets and bringing specialty mushrooms to more people than ever before. We have big plans for this year and need people like you to help us spread our roots across the country!
As the General Manager at our Texas farm, you will oversee day-to-day activities and long-term strategic initiatives at our expanding facility in Buda, Texas. In this role, you will have direct oversight of the farm’s P&L and will be responsible for preparing and maintaining budgets, leading cost-reduction initiatives and instilling a culture of continuous improvement. A key component of this role is liaising between the team on the ground and Smallhold HQ to ensure alignment.
This is a high-pressure and fast-paced position that requires strong leadership capabilities in addition to a hands-on, execution-oriented approach. The Texas General Manager will report directly to the Director of Operations.
- Oversee day-to-day operations at Smallhold’s Buda, Texas facility including supervision of all cultivation, production, shipping and receiving activities.
- Develop, supervise and mentor a team of 25+ people. The General Manager is primarily responsible for team member development and morale.
- Shape and execute on an adaptive hiring plan. Anticipate and head off labor shortages.
- Be the boots on the ground through facility expansion. Work closely with the Expansion Team to select, install and maintain capital equipment. Set up initial supplier agreements, and assist with other project management tasks as needed.
- Work closely with the Operations and Sales Teams to plan production and delivery schedules.
- Propose and execute on strategies for growth and capacity expansion with support from HQ.
- Ensure team members safety and OSHA compliance. Foster a team member- and safety- first environment.
- Project-manage and coordinate ongoing facility maintenance, improvements and repairs.
- Champion and ensure compliance with Smallhold’s food safety and quality assurance programs.
- Manage, maintain and take direct responsibility for facility budget and P&L.
- Guarantee accurate and consistent inventory tracking, data tracking and record keeping.
- Roll out process improvements in coordination with the Operations Team.
- Foster a positive and collaborative environment. The ideal candidate is ready and willing to jump in on the line and troubleshoot alongside their team members when needed
- Build rapport and trust with landlords, fellow tenants and neighbors.
- Be Smallhold’s brand evangelizer in Texas. Integrate with the local community and bring our mushrooms to absolutely everyone.
- 5+ years of leadership experience in facility operations or manufacturing, ideally in food.
- Strong leadership and management skills with proven success building high-functioning teams. Experience leading and coaching a large team in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to identify, propose, hire and develop new team members.
- Ability to be consistently present on-site 5 days a week and during irregular and off hours if needed. This role demands availability and presence physically and mentally.
- Experience with previous facility maintenance programs. Previous build out experience is a plus.
- Comfort operating and maintaining production equipment. Previous experience desired.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Knowledge of and experience with worker safety and food safety regulations.
- Experience with creating, maintaining and holding people accountable to budgets.
- Experience with supply and production planning.
- Experience with SOP creation and implementation, inventory management systems and ERP implementation and/or upkeep.
- Produce, dairy or other highly perishable cold-chain experience highly desirable.
- Willingness to develop creative solutions to combat and overcome challenging opportunities.
- Annual based compensation: $105,000
- Medical Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holiday Programs
- Equity Participation
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.