Smallhold, a Certified B Corporation, is a growing network of organic mushroom farms with operations in Brooklyn, Austin, Los Angeles, and beyond. Named one of Fast Company’s 2023 Most Innovative Companies, Smallhold is upending the traditional model for mushroom cultivation and distribution. By operating urban farms in strategic regions, growing mushrooms on byproducts from other industries, and using compostable cardboard packaging, Smallhold improves product quality and extends shelf life, all while reducing overall footprint, food waste, and plastic usage.
Smallhold mushrooms and products can be found in over 1,000 grocery retailers across the country including Whole Foods Market, Sprouts, Central Market, Pavilions, United Grocer, Erewhon, Ralphs, Lassens, Misfits Market, FreshDirect, Safeway-Albertsons, as well as some of the nation’s most exciting restaurant kitchens. Full list of stockists and restaurants can be found here. You can also watch mushrooms grow onsite in Smallhold Minifarms found inside restaurants, grocery stores, and nonprofits.
Smallhold prioritizes understanding the unique needs of each community they operate within. This has resulted in soil remediation programs, educational tours, food donation programs, artistic collaborations, and more. Local organizations interested in utilizing spent mushroom substrate for community gardens, mycology education programs, permaculture projects or other partnership opportunities are encouraged to reach out to email@example.com.
As the Production Supervisor at our expanding farm in Buda, TX, you will lead our Production Team as we ramp up and optimize our facility. You will be primarily responsible for hitting mushroom production goals and ensuring all pack outs are completed quickly, efficiently and up to Smallhold’s quality standards. You will create and oversee production schedules and ensure that shipments are out the door, in full and on time. Training and leading a growing team of staff will be an essential aspect of these purviews.
This is a high-pressure and fast-paced position that requires strong leadership capabilities in addition to a hands-on, execution-oriented approach.
- Supervise and support the success of all packing, shipping and receiving activities.
- Lead, energize and support the team to pack and fulfill the farm’s weekly orders.
- Ramp up and optimize production capacity.
- Be the expert on mushroom handling, care and curation.
- Ensure compliance with Smallhold’s food safety, organic and worker safety programs.
- Maintain and monitor accurate Sales Orders and invoicing in compliance with customer’s requirements and receiving protocols alongside the Sales Team.
- Work with QA Manager to develop and institute practices to reduce shrink and build efficiencies.
- Integrate dehydration into daily operations to salvage surplus and minimize waste.
- Monitor fresh mushroom inventory and ensure FIFO protocols are followed.
- Coordinate with Cultivation and Sales to anticipate and take action on shorts and longs.
- Guarantee accurate and consistent ERP data-entry, inventory management and record-keeping.
- Guide assistant managers, leads and practices in developing strong management practices, workplace safety, engagement and sharing of best practices.
- Ensure packaging inventory and other materials are adequately prepared and maintained.
- Champion all Smallhold policies and address any workplace issues fairly and decisively.
- Work with HR and company leadership to meet quality of life metrics for your team.
- Propose and execute on strategies for process improvement, growth and capacity expansion.
- Foster a positive and collaborative environment.
- Be ready and willing to jump in on the line and troubleshoot alongside employees when needed.
- Represent Smallhold’s values and reputation with all stakeholders.
- 3-5 years of management experience in large-scale production or manufacturing, ideally in food.
- At least 2 years of management experience in a leadership position.
- Strong team-building and coaching skills.
- Experience managing a large team in a high-pressure environment.
- Production mindset: capable of processing large volumes of produce with quality and efficiency, while prioritizing aesthetics and accuracy.
- Knowledge of and experience with food safety regulations.
- Experience with GAP preferred, SQF experience is a plus.
- Experience creating, leading or adhering to quality assurance programs.
- Experience with SOP creation and implementation.
- Experience with inventory management systems, warehouse management systems and ERPs.
- Experience with inventory tracking, FIFO protocol, and understanding of perishable products.
- Positive attitude and get-it-done mentality.
- Annual based compensation: $65,000
- Medical Dental and Vision Coverage
- PTO and Paid Holiday Programs
- 401 (k) Plan
- Mushrooms Always!
Smallhold celebrates difference and diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer (EEO). We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment where all employees feel a sense of belonging and respect. If there is anything we can do to ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.